FAQ AFTER I 20 AND BEFORE GETTING VISA.

Q.1 What is an I-20 and how do I get it?

The Form I-20 is an official U.S. Government form, issued by a certified school, which a prospective nonimmigrant student must have in order to get an F-1 or M-1 visa. Form I-20 acts as proof-of-acceptance and contains the information necessary to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee, apply for a visa or change visa status, and be admitted into the United States.
The Form I-20 has the student's SEVIS identification number, which starts with the letter N and is followed by nine digits, on the upper righthand side directly above the barcode.


Q.2 How early should I apply for my student visa?

You are encouraged to apply for your nonimmigrant student visa as soon as you have your I-20. To ensure you get an early and timely date you may apply at anytime. However, a student visa may be issued no more than 120 days prior to the start date mentioned on your I-20.




Q.3 I received my visa, when should I travel?

You may only enter the United States within 30 days of the beginning of the course of study stated on your I-20, regardless of when your visa was issued.


Q.4 Can a person on a visitor visa change his/her status to student while in the United States if he/she gains admission to a school and gets a Form I-20?

Yes. In general, you may apply to change your nonimmigrant visa status if you were lawfully admitted to the United States with a nonimmigrant visa, if your nonimmigrant status remains valid, if you have not violated the conditions of your status, and you have not committed any actions that would make you ineligible. For more details, please visit the USCIS website .

Q.5 What if I receive an I-20 to a different school?

If you received an I-20 after scheduling your appointment, then you can inform the U.S. consular officer of the new I-20 at the time of the interview.

Q.6 I was working as an H-1B and have now been admitted to a university as an F-1. Do I need to return to my country to apply for a student visa?

No. Once you are in the United States, you do not need to apply for a new visa because the visa is only for entry into the United States. Check with USCIS to determine if you need to adjust status. If you leave the country, however, you'll need to apply for the student visa in order to re-enter the United States.


Q.7 Can an F-1 student work in the United States?

Full-time students on F visas may seek on-campus employment not to exceed 20 hours per week. After the first year in student status, an applicant may apply for employment off campus with authorization from USCIS. Please contact your student advisor for further information.


Q.8 What is the SEVIS system and how does it affect me?

The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) program requires schools and exchange programs to verify the enrollment status of all new and continuing foreign students and exchange visitors. Student visa applicants are required to pay a SEVIS fee before a visa can be issued. Applicants are then required to provide the SEVIS I-901 fee receipt as proof of payment. The SEVIS website  has more details.


Q.9 Can my dependents apply for a tourist visa instead of


 dependent visa if they only want to

visit me and stay in U.S. for a short 

period of time?
Yes, they can apply for a Tourist visa.

FAQ - Exchange Visitor Visa

I received my visa, when should I travel?

What is the SEVIS system and how does it affect me?
What is the "two-year rule?"
Can the two-year rule be waived?

Q.1 I received my visa, when should I travel?

Exchange visitors may only enter the United States within 30 days of the beginning of the program, as stated on your Form DS-2019, regardless of when your visa was issued.


Q.2 What is the SEVIS system and how does it affect me?

The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) program requires schools and exchange programs to verify the enrollment status of all new and continuing foreign students and exchange visitors. Exchange visitor visa applicants are required to pay a SEVIS fee before a visa can be issued. Applicants are required to provide the SEVIS I-901 fee receipt as proof of payment. The SEVIS website  has more details.


Q.3 What is the "two-year rule?"

The "two-year rule" is the common term used for a section of U.S. immigration law which requires many exchange visitors to return to their home countries and be physically present there for at least two years after the conclusion of their exchange visit before they can return to the United States under certain types of visas, specifically H-1, L-1, K-1 and immigrant visas. It is important to note that only a preliminary finding of whether the two-year rule applies to you is made on your DS-2019 when your J-1 visa is issued. The final decision will be made only if you later choose to apply for an H-1, L-1, K-1, or immigrant visa.
J-1 visa holders subject to the two-year rule are not permitted to remain in the United States and apply for an adjustment/change of status to a prohibited nonimmigrant status (for example, from a J-1 visa to an H-1 visa) or to apply for legal permanent resident status (Green Card) without first returning home for two years or obtaining an approved waiver. Whether you are subject to the two-year rule is determined by a number of factors, including your source of funding and your country's "Skills List."" It is not determined by the amount of time you spend in the United States.

Q.4 Can the two-year rule be waived?

Possibly. Only the Department of State's Visa Office can grant waivers of the two-year rule. The Visa Office is also the final authority on whether you are subject to the rule, regardless of what is annotated in your passport. If you are subject to the two-year rule, you may be able to obtain a waiver . Even if you are subject to the two-year rule, you may still qualify for a tourist visa or any other nonimmigrant visa except those noted above.




For, information about each and every step to study abroad  follow here   

Applying-for-us-student-visa-follow Here


PART--2

What is an I-20 and how do I get one?

A Form I-20 is a government form that tells the U.S. government that you are eligible for F-1 Student Status. It certifies that
(1) you are or expect to be a "bona fide" student
2) you meet the American Educational Institute's admissions requirements
(3) you will pursue a full course of study
(4) you proved to the college/university that you have enough money to study and live in the U.S. without working illegally or suffering from poverty.
The i-20 is sent to you by the university/college you have been accepted at. You need this form to apply for the student visa.

What is CPT?

Curricular Practical Training or CPT is an optional employment opportunity available to F-1 students where the training is considered to be an integral part of the curriculum or academic program. According to the immigration regulations, this employment may be an internship, cooperative education job, a practicum, or any other work experience that is either required for your degree which defined in the course catalog or for which academic credit is awarded.

What is OPT?

Optional Practical Training or OPT is temporary employment authorization that gives F-1 students an opportunity to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to a practical work experience off campus. You may use some or all of the available 12 months of practical training during your course of study or save the full twelve months to use after you complete your studies. Authorization for optional practical training is granted by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) formerly known as the Immigration and Naturalization Service or INS - and can take at least 90 days and frequently up to 120 days to obtain. It is important that you apply for the authorization at the earliest possible date.

What are the Eligibility Requirements for F-1 Optional Practical Training?

To be eligible to apply for optional practical training, you must:
Have been in full time student status for at least one full academic year preceding the submission of your OPT application
Be maintaining valid F-1 status at the time of the application, and
Intend to work in a position directly related to your major field of study.

When should I apply?

If you are a student completing the first academic year of study (or are in a one year program), the earliest you can submit the application is 90 days prior to the date you complete your first academic year.
If you are beyond the first year of study, you may submit your application no earlier than 120 days prior to the start date you request for your OPT.
If you are applying for OPT based on completion of all coursework and/or completion of your academic program, you must submit an application for optional practical training prior to your completion date. Applications received at USCIS after the completion date will be denied.
Applications will be accepted by OISS at your pre scheduled OPT appointment (see below)
Dates of OPT Authorization
The OPT card is approved for a specific beginning and end date. You must identify those dates on the OPT Request Form. For OPT after completion of studies or graduation, the beginning date can be no later than 60 days after the date you complete your studies. If you have questions about your OPT dates, please discuss this with an OISS adviser.


How do I convert my F1 visa to a H1-B visa?

Once you find a suitable job and employer who can sponsor your H1B visa, you can convert F1 to H1 status can can start working based on that H1B visa for the that employer.

Can I get the H1B stamp in USA itself?

No, first time H1B stamp can only be done in your home country.

What is SEVIS?

US implemented the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System, known as the SEVIS. Universities issuing I-20s have to enter international student information in the SEVIS database and this information is then accessed by US consulates worldwide. So If your university does not enter your information in the database, your visa may not be issued . In this case, inform the university and request them to enter your information in the SEVIS database.

When is the right time to apply for the student visa?

One can apply 120 days before the date of enrolment mentioned in the I-20 form.

Can I change my university/school once I reach USA?

Once you are in the US, you are governed by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services rules. Accordingly, you cannot change your school before completing a year there. It is advisable you make your choice carefully, and avoid problems later.

I received the I-20 from a school, which I used to get my my student visa. But recently I recieved another I-20 from a different school, which I would prefer to attend. What should I do?

Apply again for a new visa based on the new I-20.

What types of things are the US consular's looking for in terms of proof that the applicant will come back to his/her home country? How much assets or liquid cash are they looking for?

There is no official fixed amount or numbers specified by immigration and visa authorities.
You should be able to satisfy the consular officer that you are a bona-fide student, genuinely wanting to pursue higher studies in America.
The ties shown by you should involve your economic attraction to India after graduation and the social roots to which you would return rather than stay in the US.

If I don't have sufficient funds, can a bank loan help?

The US consular will have to be convinced about how you will repay the loan.
If huge loans are shown, getting a visa can become difficult. It is preferable to have a smaller loan.

Do visas for students get rejected if the applicants have brothers and sisters in America?

Depending on individual case, it is not the only reason for the rejection.

How do I prove I can afford to attend school in the US?

Part 7 on the I-20 shows the amount of funding you must have available to cover the first year's expenses. The total amount includes tuition and fees, living expenses, expenses of dependents (if applicable) and other expenses (as applicable). You must prove you have immediate funds available to cover this amount.
If your parents are sponsoring your study, an affidavit of their support with proof of funds will help.

Do I have to take the TOFEL or GRE exams to qualify for a student visa? What if some schools do not require that I take the TOEFL or GRE exams?

You must have a letter in writing from the school stating that they do not require TOEFL or GRE exams for attendance.
However, the embassy strongly recommends that all student visa applicants provide standardized test scores.